Lunedì, 15 Ottobre 2018
VATICAN CITY

Trial of pope's ex-butler to start September 29

English
© ANSA

(ANSA) - Vatican City, September 17 - The trial of Pope
Benedict XVI's former butler Paolo Gabriele for being in illegal
possession of confidential Church documents will start on
September 29, the Vatican City's court said on Monday.
A Vatican IT expert, Claudio Sciarpelletti, will also go on
trial for alleged involvement.
Gabriele was arrested in May following probes into the
leaking of sensitive Vatican documents to the media in a case
that was dubbed 'VatiLeaks'.
The Vatican's spokesman, Father Federico Lombardi, said a
pool of accredited journalists would be able to attend the trial
but photographers and TV cameras would not.
When the pair were indicted in August, Lombardi said
Sciarpelletti's alleged involvement in the case was far less
serious than Gabriele's.
Gabriele is charged with aggravated theft while
Sciarpelletti is accused of aiding and abetting.
Gabriele is currently under house arrest after spending two
months in a Vatican cell following his May 25 arrest, which
shocked the Catholic world.
Vatican experts and the media have speculated that the
butler is a pawn in a power struggle between cardinals, with
many suggesting Vatican Secretary of State Tarcisio Bertone, the
pope's right-hand man, is the intended target.
The Holy See has denied this and Bertone has accused some
parts of the media of trying to play Dan Brown in their
reporting of the case, saying they were guilty of "inventing
tales and peddling legends".
The leaked documents included letters to the pope and
Bertone from the Holy See's ambassador in Washington, Carlo
Maria Vigano', who was deputy governor of Vatican City at the
time they were written.
The letters contained allegations of corruption in the
management of Vatican City.
Benedict is said to be baffled by the case.
"The pope has asked himself many times, with distress, for
an explanation about the motive for the gesture of Paolo
Gabriele, who he loved like a son," Bertone told Catholic weekly
Famiglia Cristiana in June.
A further 20 suspects could come under the scrutiny of
Vatican magistrates investigating the Vatileaks case,
well-placed Vatican sources told ANSA last month.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X