Mercoledì, 17 Ottobre 2018
ROME

Berlusconi says 'won't campaign against Monti'

English
© ANSA

Rome, November 1 - Silvio Berlusconi on Thursday
said his centre-right People of Freedom (PdL) party would not
"campaign against (Italian Premier Mario) Monti", a few days
after the ex-premier threatened to pull support from the current
government.
"We won't wage a campaign against Monti," he said. "But we
are convinced that austerity measures imposed by the European
Union have put the economy on an endless, downward spiral".
Berlusconi, who was convicted of tax fraud on Friday,
criticised Monti on Saturday, days after saying his unelected
administration of non-political technocrats was doing a good job
at tackling the economic crisis despite some mistakes.
His comments were blasted by the centre-left Democratic
Party (PD) and the centrist UDC, both of which support Monti's
administration in parliament, as Berlusconi's PdL has done since
the financial crisis forced the ex-premier to resign last year.
But tellingly, they were also given a cool reception by
some parts of the PdL.
Fabrizio Cicchitto, House whip for the PdL, expressed
concern that Italy's borrowing costs would rise if there were
moves to bring down the government because the ensuing political
instability would hit investor confidence.
There had been speculation that the PdL could split if
Berlusconi followed through on his threat and tried to bring
down the government.
In the same statement Thursday, Berlusconi also blamed
Germany for "pressuring" the EU to impose tough austerity
measures on the region, "like a dominion, not out of solidarity,
but egotism".

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X