Martedì, 16 Ottobre 2018
ROME

Chinese express interest in building Messina bridge

English
© ANSA

Rome, November 7 - A Chinese company has expressed
interest in the project to build a bridge over the Strait of
Messina, according to Pietro Ciucci, the chief executive of the
company charged with studying the feasibility of the project.
On Friday, the government announced that it would not
cancel the long-awaited and controversial bridge project, which
aims to connect mainland Italy with Sicily, but that it would
extend feasibility studies for another two years.
Previously, the government had said it would shelve the
much-debated project, the brainchild of former Premier Silvio
Berlusconi.
During a hearing Tuesday in Italy's Senate, Ciucci said
there is a 'memorandum of understanding' with the China
Communication Construction Company regarding the building of the
bridge.
Ciucci did not elaborate except to say that the memorandum
"is not a contract or commitment, but it shows there is interest
in part of the market" for the bridge's realization.
"There is a communique' drafted after a meeting in Istanbul
in which the interest in building the bridge is affirmed,"
Ciucci added.
The 8.5-billion-euro project will not be getting off the
drawing board any time soon, however.
On Monday Italian Industry Minister Corrado Passera said
that 'the project is not yet sustainable, neither technically
not financially'.
Passera also said that he had not met with private Chinese
investors regarding the possibility of funding the stalled
project.
'We have to give ourselves another two years to evaluate if
there are private investors interested,' Passera said Monday.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X