Martedì, 18 Settembre 2018

EU court opens hearings into Genoa G8 brutality


Strasbourg, January 2 - More than a decade after
brutal police beatings of protesters at a Group of Eight summit
in Genoa in 2001, the European Court of Justice in Strasbourg
began hearings into the case Wednesday.
The Strasbourg court is considering applications brought by
20 people in Italy and other parts of the Europe in the case
where police brutality left two people comatose and sent 26 to
The worst attacks occurred when police raided the Diaz
school, where anti-globalization protesters were sleeping.
Last July, Italy's top appeals court upheld the convictions
of several high-ranking officers, saying that violent actions by
some police and unprovoked mass arrests of anti-globalization
demonstrators had discredited Italy in the eyes of the world.
The court slammed police for fabricating justifications for
their actions, such as falsely claiming that protesters had
stabbed an officer and were about to use Molotov cocktails,
which were in fact planted by the police.
Senior police made false accusations and committed slander
against the accused, and overall failed in their duties during
the three-day summit in Genoa, the court said in upholding and
even increasing prison sentences against senior officers.
Amid the violence that marred the three-day event, a police
officer killed a 23-year-old protester as he was about to hurl a
fire extinguisher into his vehicle.
In its July final ruling, the court said that former
national police chief Gianni De Gennaro, the only senior officer
to be acquitted at the end of the appeals process, had demanded
arrests "to redeem the image of the police from charges of
inertia" against militant rampages that devastated the
northwestern port city.
But jail sentences were suspended for many top officers who
have yet to be sanctioned by the interior ministry, and
sentences for the riot police eventually timed out.
The Italian government was forced to pay 350,000 euros in
compensation last fall to a British freelance journalist
brutally beaten by Italian police.
Mark Covell, who has called for a more complete
investigation of the G8 debacle, was unconscious for 14 hours
after police in riot gear raided the Diaz school,
The bludgeoning left him with a vein twisted around his
spine, a perforated lung, broken fingers, ten smashed teeth and
eight broken ribs.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)


Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook