Martedì, 16 Ottobre 2018
BRUSSELS

EU budget deal sees Italy's net contribution cut

English
© ANSA

Brussels, February 8 - Italian Premier Mario Monti
said Friday's deal on the EU's budget for the next seven years
was "satisfying" because it featured a "very significant
improvement" in Italy's contributions.
He said Italy's net contribution - the difference between
what it pays into the bloc and receives from it - will be 3.8
billion euros for the 2014-2020 period.
The net contribution was 4.5 billion in the 2007-2013
period, although it reached six billion in 2011, when Italy was
the biggest contributor to the EU budget in relation to the size
of its gross domestic product.
"We negotiated very hard," said Monti.
"I think it's a significant, concrete start towards a
reversal of the trend, but there will certainly be further
battles".
However, Monti failed in his bid to prevent the EU's
multi-annual budget being cut for the first time ever.
European leaders agreed to set a new budget ceiling of 960
billion euros, down from 1.03 trillion euros, after marathon
negotiations.
The cuts had been called for by Britain, Germany and other
northern European countries.
Italy had been trying to combat them, saying the EU needed
a higher budget to be able to promote economic growth.
British Prime Minister David Cameron said Friday that the
people of the UK could be "proud" of his government for "putting
a limit on the EU credit card" by fighting for the bloc's
2014-2020 budget to be limited.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel said the deal "shows to
those looking from the outside that we are capable of achieving
results".
She also said the bloc had "sent a signal of solidarity".
French President Francois Hollande said that the EU budget
agreement was a "good compromise".
He added that getting the leaders to commit "to 960 billion
euros (in spending) was undoubtedly the highest figure
reachable".
But European Parliament (EP) Group leaders Joseph Daul
(EPP), Hannes Swoboda (S&D), Guy Verhofstadt (ALDE) and Daniel
Cohn-Bendit (Greens) called the deal passed on Friday
"unacceptable".
The parliament has the power to veto the EU budget.
But Luxembourg Prime Minister Jean-Claude Juncker said he
was confident the agreement would not be sunk by the EP.
"I think the European Parliament has acknowledged that the
negotiations were difficult and probably we'll reach an
agreement," he said.

photo: Italian Premier Mario Monti and European Council
President Herman Van Rompuy.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X