Martedì, 23 Ottobre 2018
CAGLIARI

Soccer: Cagliari leave stadium after legal woes

English
© ANSA

Cagliari, April 2 - Serie A soccer club on Tuesday
said it was leaving its controversial provisional stadium which
would be rebuilt in another location in the Sardinian capital.
The club, currently 11th in Serie A, 30 points behind
leaders Juventus, cancelled a three-year contract with a
municipality on Cagliari's outskirts to use the Is Arena
Stadium.
Cagliari, who finished 15th in Serie A last year, moved
there when their historic but outdated Sant'Elia stadium - scene
of the scudetto triumph of 1970 - closed down a year ago.
In its letter to the Quartu Sant'Elena council, Cagliari
said its lawyers were "working on ways and means to dismantle
the structure, which could soon be moved to another
municipality".
The case has brought legal woes for the club's
administrators and local officials over claims of graft linked
to the stadium.
On March 1 Cagliari Chairman Massimo Cellino refused to
leave jail after being granted house arrest in a case concerning
alleged corruption in relation to the ground.
Cellino was arrested along with two local officials on
February 14.
The investigation regards renovation work on the Is Arenas
stadium on the outskirts of the Sardinian city.
Cagliari have had trouble with the ground since moving
there at the start of this season due to problems with it being
cleared as fit to host the public.
The team's first Serie A match of the season against
Atalanta was played behind closed doors.
Their second game against AS Roma was cancelled after
Cellino defied local authorities by telling home fans to turn up
to a match that was meant to be played in an empty stadium for
safety reasons. Roma were awarded a 3-0 win.
Only parts of the Is Arenas were open at a number of games
this season and a recent home match against AC Milan went ahead
at the ground after Cagliari successfully appealed against
a decision to move the contest to Turin.
Cellino, Mauro Contini, the mayor of the Quartu Sant'Elena
municipality, and Stefano Lilliu, the council's public works
chief, are suspected of attempted embezzlement and deception.
In November three other people were put under house arrest
in relation to the investigation.
Cagliari had to play a number of games in Trieste at the
end of last season because of problems with their former home,
the Stadio Sant'Elia.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X