Martedì, 16 Ottobre 2018
NEW DELHI

India marine court, probe reports 'not official'

English
© ANSA

New Delhi, April 3 - India on Wednesday said there
was "nothing official" in reports about a special court for two
Italian marines accused of killing two Indian fishermen or the
investigating body.
There has been conflicting news about a new probe by the
Indian secret service and the powers of the court.
On Monday, reports said the case had been reassigned from
local authorities to the National Investigation Agency (NIA),
which was set up after the 2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai to
combat national-security threats.
Italian officials are closely watching developments in the
case, which surrounds Italian anti-pirate marines Massimiliano
Latorre and Salvatore Girone, who are in India on charges of
shooting and killing fishermen Jelestine Valentine and Ajesh
Binki after allegedly mistaking them for pirates while guarding
a mercantile ship off the Kerala coast in February 2012.
The complex case has reached the highest political levels,
has led to the resignation of Italy's foreign minister, and
caused a diplomatic rift between the two countries over the fate
of the marines.
But diplomatic tempers seem to have cooled after Italy last
month decided to send the marines back to India following a
four-week parole.
On Wednesday a spokesman from the Indian foreign ministry
called the case "one of a kind" and "obviously very delicate".
"We know quite well that the (Indian) Supreme Court expects
us to quickly put together a special tribunal. We are working on
it, and we will be ready for the next hearing scheduled April
16," said Syed Akbaruddin.
He also added that the new Indian ambassador to Italy,
Ranjit Gupta, is scheduled to be instated "by the end of the
month".
Gupta was supposed to assume the post in January, but the
government opted to suspend the transition amid tensions over
the case of the Italian marines.
Last month, Italy's ambassador to India was slapped with a
travel ban after Rome opted to keep the marines from returning
to New Delhi for trial.
That ban was lifted Tuesday following the marines' return.
"We were reevaluating bilateral relations (at the time),"
said Akbaruddin. "But now that phase has passed".

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X