Giovedì, 20 Settembre 2018
ROME

Italian marines probe will not pass to anti-terrorist unit

English
© ANSA

Rome, April 11 - A new probe into last year's
fatal shooting of two Indian fishermen allegedly by two Italian
marines will not be handed over to India's anti-terrorist
National Investigation Agency (NIA), Indian TV news channel
Cnn-Ibn said on Thursday.
Officials early April said that investigations would be
turned over to the special unit that was set up after the
2008 terrorist attacks in Mumbai to combat national-security
threats.
However, reports on Thursday said that the case will
instead go to the country's Central Bureau of Investigation
(CBI).
Italian anti-pirate marines Massimiliano Latorre and
Salvatore Girone are in India on charges of shooting and killing
fishermen Valentine (aka Gelastine) and Ajesh Binki after
allegedly mistaking them for pirates while guarding a mercantile
ship off the Kerala coast in February 2012.
After a drawn-out diplomatic row, Italy agreed to hand the
men over to Indian authorities last month despite contesting
India's right to jurisdiction, given the incident took place in
international waters.
While there have been signs of improvements in recent
weeks, relations between the two countries have frayed over the
past year, prompting Italy to request independent third-party
arbitration in the tangled affair.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook