Martedì, 23 Ottobre 2018
ROME

Fresh government formation bid to be announced Wednesday

English
© ANSA

(By Kate Carlisle)Rome, April 23 - The pause button was
hit once more on Tuesday evening as Italians waited to hear who
will be tapped to form a government following a round of swift
talks between re-elected President Giorgio Napolitano and
Italy's parties.
The candidate mandated to end two months of political
deadlock will be announced on Wednesday, PD Deputy Secretary
Enrico Letta said.
"The key questions are labor and political reform" for the
government leader to be forwarded by Napolitano, Letta said.
Some pundits expect Napolitano to give Giuliano Amato from
the biggest party in parliament, the crisis-hit Democratic Party
(PD), a mandate to form a government.
Amato is a senior PD member who had two short stints as
premier between 1992 and 1993 and 2000 and 2001.
Another possibility is the party's rising star, Florence's
38-year-old Mayor Matteo Renzi, who came second in the
centre-left's premier-candidate primary in December and is
supported by the young Turks of the PD.
Renzi, however, has played this down, despite his name being
put forward earlier in the day by PD member Umberto Ranieri at
the party's leadership meeting.
Ranieri said that Renzi would be "a courageous choice
answering a political question and an important step towards the
reconstruction of the relationship between politics and
citizens".
PD Deputy Secretary Enrico Letto was also strongly tipped to
get the nomination.
Napolitano reluctantly agreed to serve a second term on
Saturday after the parties failed to agree on a candidate to
succeed the 87-year-old.
He stepped in as the situation threatened to further
complicate the impasse the country has endured since February's
inconclusive general election, as problems pile up for the
recession-ravaged nation.
The head of state said the parties had behaved irresponsibly
and has threatened to quit if they refuse to form a coalition to
pass measures in a programme he recently asked a group of
experts, dubbed the 10 wise men, to prepare.
"If I find myself once again facing the kind of deafness I
ran into in the past, I will not hesitate to draw the
consequences," Napolitano said.
The centre-left led by Pier Luigi Bersani, who beat Renzi in
the primary and came first in February's vote but did not gain a
working majority in the Senate confirmed his decision to quit as
the leader of the PD on Tuesday.
Bersani, who was given a mandate to form a government after
the general election, ruled out forming a grand coalition with
ex-premier Silvio Berlusconi People of Freedom (PdL) party.
But he failed in a bid to reach out to the
anti-establishment 5-Star Movement (M5S), which won about a
quarter of the vote, leaving the country in a situation of
gridlock.
The PD is now expected to support a so-called 'government of
the president', which would also be backed by the PdL, outgoing
Premier Mario Monti's Civic Choice party and possibly the
Northern League, with a limited mandate to pass some key
reforms, including a new electoral law.
This administration is set to include institutional figures
as well as PD and PdL politicians, unlike Monti's emergency
government of unelected technocrats.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X