Giovedì, 20 Settembre 2018
ROME

Soccer: Inter risk first Euro exclusion in 14 years

English
© ANSA

(By Paul Virgo)
Rome, May 7 - Inter Milan are in danger of missing
out on European action for the first time in 14 years next
season in another sign of how far they have declined since
winning a Champions League-Serie A-Italian Cup treble in 2010.
With three games to go, Andrea Stramaccioni's side are in
eighth place, five points behind AS Roma, who at the moment
qualify for the last of Italy's slots in the continent's
secondary club competition, the Europa League.
Another Europa League place may become available if Roma or
seventh-placed Lazio finish in the top five, as those two teams
will do battle in the Italian Cup final and the winner will
qualify automatically for the competition.
But even a top-six finish looks unlikely for Inter given
their current form - they have won just two of their last 11
Serie A games.
Stramaccioni had no experience of playing top-level soccer,
never mind coaching a Serie A club, when he was promoted from
his role as head of Inter's academy side after Claudio Ranieri
was sacked last year.
His job was to give a young squad of players a new sense of
identity and playing style after Inter gradually offloaded many
of the veterans of the treble-winning team.
So far he has failed, although the wretched luck Inter have
had with injuries, including serious ones to important players
such as captain Javier Zanetti and fellow Argentine Diego
Milito, the top scorer of the treble season, has been a big
factor.
"We know what happened this year, we're angry and sad but
we've never looked for excuses or shied away," Stramaccioni told
a news conference before Wednesday's home match against Lazio.
"We've taken the flak and we're obviously angry that we
weren't able to reach our objectives.
"When I hear that Lazio, for example, have struggled in the
absense of just one striker, (Germany's Miroslav) Klose, I have
to think about all the absences we've had to contend with.
"We want to show people that our injury crisis hasn't
drained our motivation".
Some media reports say 37-year-old Stramaccioni may be
ditched next season, with former Roma coach Zdnedek Zeman and
Napoli boss Walter Mazzarri named as possible replacements.
But Inter Chairman Massimo Moratti has said in public at
least that he will give Stramaccioni another chance to prove his
worth, given the extenuating circumstances of the injuries.
Milito, who has been out since February with a
cruciate-ligament injury in his knee, said the team are behind
their current boss.
"I hope Stramaccioni is the right man to get us back
winning," Milito told Sky television.
"We've always been very close to him, he's obviously come
into a tough situation this year. If he's still Inter coach next
season we'll have a great campaign".
Stramaccioni is not the only one in the firing line at
Inter.
The failure of some new arrivals to shine, such as
19-year-old Croatian midfielder Mateo Kovacic, Inter's big
signing of the January transfer window, has also put pressure on
sporting director Marco Branca.
The last time Inter did not take part in European
competition was in the 1999-2000 campaign after they lost to
Bologna in a playoff to take part in the UEFA Cup.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X