Martedì, 23 Ottobre 2018
GROSSETO

Concordia captain Schettino to stand trial

English
© ANSA

(By Kate Carlisle) Grosseto, May 22 - A preliminary
hearings judge in the Tuscan city of Grosseto on Wednesday said
that Francesco Schettino, the captain of the Costa Concordia,
will go to trial over the 2012 cruise ship disaster that cost 32
people their lives.
Schettino will be tried for dereliction of duty and
multiple manslaughter starting July 9 and if found guilty, could
face 20 years in prison.
He is expected to appeal if found guilty.
In April, the judge agreed to admit Costa Cruises, the
owner of the wrecked cruise liner, as a civil plaintiff in
criminal proceedings, all the shipwreck survivors, a number of
Italian ministries, local governments and that of the island of
Giglio.
The former cruise ship captain was manning the Costa
Concordia when it hit a rock on January 13, 2012, before
partially capsizing off the island of Giglio.
Five board members of Costa Crociere have also been placed
under investigation as part of a new and separate probe related
to the January accident for possible collusion in the crimes of
dereliction of duty and manslaughter.
Last Friday, Schettino told a court that his actions saved
the lives of more than 4,000 people and requested a new
investigation.
"My years of experience surely led to the evacuation of
over 4,000 people. Thus is was not the hand of the good Lord or
a miracle," said Francesco Schettino.
Dubbed "Captain Coward" by the media for allegedly
abandoning ship without overseeing the evacuation, Schettino
claims his image and actions have been distorted by
investigators and called on judges for a new probe.
However, last July Schettino apologised for being
"distracted" on the night of Italy's worst maritime disaster
since World War II.
"I have to apologise to everyone because at that time,
during the approach to Giglio, one of my officers was at the
command and I was distracted, so I have those 32 deaths on my
conscience," he told Mediaset television.
The prosecutor handling the case said the day after the
interview that Schettino told "embarrassing lies" when giving
his account of his handling of the ship.
Schettino said in the interview that he was not in command
of the liner when it struck a rock while sailing close to Giglio
to 'salute' local residents.
He claimed that he saved lives by guiding the ship to
shallower waters instead of immediately ordering an evacuation.
"He knows the truth very well because the judicial papers
deposited by the preliminary hearing judge are in his hands
too," Grosseto Chief Prosecutor Francesco Verusio told Turin
daily La Stampa.
"Witness reports and recordings on what happened on the
bridge show the responsibility he had. He knows it all.
"After his arrest he admitted he'd made a blunder and now
he wants to depict himself as the perfect commander who isn't
sorry repent anything. It's unbelievable," Verusio said.
Schettino's defense lawyers claim he is a "scapegoat" who
"suffered a work accident".
An expert witness testifying at preliminary hearings last
October said that Schettino had plenty of time and room to avoid
gashing the cruise liner on the rock reef, but failed to react.
"There was plenty of space, a huge amount of water and time
to approach and take (the ship) out of danger," testified
Admiral Giuseppe Cavo Dragone.
Preliminary hearings judge Pietro Molino said on Wednesday
that the prosecution had provided "more than sufficient
evidence" to indict Schettino whose conduct had been "grossly
negligent".

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X