Giovedì, 20 Settembre 2018
ROME

ECB issues Italy stiff warning on deficit

English
© ANSA

(By Paul Virgo)
Rome, June 13 - The European Central Bank gave
Premier Enrico Letta's government a stiff warning on Thursday
when it said that recession-hit Italy's efforts to cut its
deficit were in danger.
Last month the European Commission recommended that an
excessive-deficit procedure opened in 2009 against Italy be
closed.
Rome has forecast that Italy's budget-gross domestic
product (GDP) ratio will be under the 3% threshold allowed by
the European Union this year, at 2.9%. It was 3% last year.
But with fears that tax revenues will fall if Italy fails
to emerge from its longest recession in over 20 years before the
end of 2013, the ECB said there is a danger of Rome going back
over the 3% mark.
"Risks surrounding the deficit reduction path relate mainly
to worse than expected macroeconomic developments, as well as to
weaker than assumed revenue dynamics and higher expenditures,"
the ECB said in its monthly bulletin.
The central bank said that Italy's "fiscal targets have
been considerably relaxed compared with last year's stability
programme update, foreseeing a more gradual consolidation path".
Italy emerged from the deficit procedure after former
premier Mario Monti's technocrat government passed big tax
increases and spending cuts.
But these austerity measures deepened the recession and did
not stop the country's public debt-to-GDP ratio climbing and it
forecast to hit 132% this year.
Letta, whose left-right government was sworn in late in
April, is increasingly turning his attention to the country's
jobs crisis, with unemployment at a record high of 12% and
around four in 10 Italians aged 15-to-24 out of work.
The premier is facing calls to avert a 1% rise in value
added tax scheduled for July and to scrap an unpopular property
tax, and the ECB seems worried Rome's focus on slashing the
deficit is slipping.
"The deficit reduction path spelled out in the 2013
stability programme update must be strictly adhered to so as to
minimise the risk of again breaching the 3% of GDP reference
value in the near future," read the bulletin.
"This will be a key policy challenge for the new government
which was sworn in on 28 April 2013," it added, referring to
Letta's administration, which is supported by an unprecedented
alliance of his centre-left Democratic Party (PD) and ex-premier
Silvio Berlusconi's centre-right People of Freedom (PdL) party.
Economy Minister Fabrizio Saccomanni said he had reassured
the ECB about Rome's commitment to cutting the deficit and said
it will hit its budget target for this year.
He added that he expected the "recovery" from Italy's
longest recession in over 20 years to start in the third quarter
of this year, with the help of the effects of a plan to pay
around 40 billion euros that the public sector owes
private-sector firms over the next year.
He also said that Italy was not asking for Europe to make
"exemptions" in its budget rules as "we know you cannot create
growth without debt".
But he also stressed that the EU needed to adopt "common
action to revive growth" ahead of an EU summit later this month
at which unemployment will be top of the agenda following a
request from Letta.
The premier recently suggested that the EU should grant
governments more room to maneuver within its budget rules in
order to encourage investments that would create jobs.
But German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble told ANSA on
Thursday that he did not think this was a good idea.
"I think having investment calculations outside the
national budget is the wrong road," Schaeuble said.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook