Giovedì, 18 Ottobre 2018

Seven convictions upheld in Genoa G8 barracks brutality case


Rome, June 14 - Italy's supreme Court of Cassation
on Friday upheld seven prison terms handed to police officers
and prison doctors for brutality against protestors held at a
detention centre in the Bolzaneto barracks during the 2001 Group
of Eight (G8) summit in Genoa.
The sentences, ranging from one to three years in jail, are
connected to two days of mayhem that occurred when more than
300,000 demonstrators converged on Genoa for the G8 summit in
July 2001.
The court cleared four other police officers and reduced
the number of plaintiffs eligible to claim damages from 44
defendants held to be civilly responsible for violence against
In total, 252 demonstrators said they were spat at,
verbally and physically humiliated or threatened with rape while
being held at the Bolzaneto centre.
The Cassation said some of these cases should be pursued in
civil courts.
During the 2001 G8 one protester was shot dead while
attacking a Carabinieri policeman, shops and businesses were
ransacked, and hundreds of people injured in clashes between
police and demonstrators.
During a night raid by police at the Diaz school, which was
being used by G8 protestors as sleeping quarters, three people
were left comatose and 26 had to be taken to hospital.
That attack by police gained headlines worldwide.
Last year in a separate trial, the Cassation condemned
police heads involved in the Diaz beatings, upholding the
findings of a lower appeals court two years previously.
In June 2010 top officers Francesco Guatteri and Giovanni
Luperi were given four years in jail for the raid.
Both had been cleared at the original trial in 2008.
The head of the security police in Genoa at the time,
Spartaco Mortola, also cleared at the original trial, was given
three years eight months.
Thirteen police agents convicted of brutality in 2008 saw
their sentences raised from three to four years.
Former Rome flying squad chief Vincenzo Canterini, the only
higher ranking officer convicted in 2008, saw his jail
term lengthened from four to five years in 2010.
But many other police offices allegedly involved saw their
cases timed out.
The judges found that the senior officials ordered the
raid, unlike the 2008 judges who ruled the police acted on their
own without instructions from their superiors.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)


Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su