Martedì, 23 Ottobre 2018
VICENZA

Ribbon cut on expanded US military base in Vicenza

English
© ANSA

Vicenza, July 2 - A white ribbon was cut on a newly
expanded American military base in Vicenza, Italy on Tuesday.
The 245-million-euro expansion of the base in northern
Italy, called Del Din, consists of 28 buildings and spans more
than 143 acres, including baseball and football fields, a
gymnasium, a recreation center, a theater and a mess hall.
Largely built in the 16th-century Palladian style, the new
installation is also "the first in the history of the US defence
department to achieve a sustainability certification," said
Colonel David Buckingham at the inauguration.
Also in attendance were Veneto Governor Luca Zaia, American
Ambassador Davide Thorne, and General Donald M.Cambell, the
commander of the US army in Europe, among other dignitaries.
"This is an American investment in American and Italian
security," said Thorne.
"It is also the greenest base in the world. It's a monument
to the security and the health not only of those who work here
but also to our neighbors".
The base is now equipped to host the entire 173rd Airborne
Brigade Combat Team, which had been divided between Italy and
Germany.
It will also be the headquarters for the 503rd Infantry
Regiment, a special support battalion, the 509th Signal
Battalion and the US Army Africa Command.
The expansion of the air base, which was called Dal Molin
until recently, was at the center of controversy for several
years and split the local population between those against
enlarging the US military presence and those who see this an an
economic opportunity.
The project was in and out of the courts until the
Council of State in 2009 overturned a regional court's ruling
against the expansion.
The airfield is across town from the main Ederle military
base that hosts the headquarters of the Southern European Task
Force (SETF), which has been in Italy since the early 1950s and
includes a rapid reaction force that has seen action in Iraq and
Afghanistan.
Opponents to the project argued expansion would have a
devastating effect on the urban fabric of the city, which is on
UNESCO's list of World Heritage Sites for its host of buildings
and villas by Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio.
Others have argued the expansion would make Vicenza a
target in the event of a military conflict or terrorist attack.
Still others see it as an economic boon.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X