Lunedì, 10 Agosto 2020
stampa
Dimensione testo

English

Home English Soccer: Head of match-fixing gang turns self in - update 2
BERGAMO

Soccer: Head of match-fixing gang turns self in - update 2

English
© ANSA

Bergamo, April 27 - Hristiyan Ilievski, a
Macedonian national who is the suspected leader of a gang that
allegedly corrupted Italian footballers, including players in
Serie A and Serie B, as part of an international betting-related
matchfixing scam, has turned himself in to police, ANSA sources
said Monday.
Ilievski had been a fugitive from justice since 2011.
The fact that he has turned himself in at Orio al Serio,
near the northern city of Bergamo, could indicate that he is
willing to cooperate with prosecutors and give evidence.
He is the leader of criminal gang nicknamed the 'zingari'
(the gypsies) and is at the centre of a big Cremona-based
investigation.
That probe led to a series of bans and fines for players
involved and its consequences could continue.
Italy coach Antonio Conte, 45, is facing a possible
indictment for sporting fraud for allegedly failing to report
match-fixing during his spell at the helm of second-tier Siena
in 2010-2011, according to ANSA sources.
Also among 130 facing indictment are Lazio captain Stefano
Mauri, former Atalanta skipper and Italy international Cristiano
Doni and former Lazio and Italy striker Beppe Signori, for
alleged conspiracy, judicial sources said.
Atalanta coach Stefano Colantuono is also facing possible
charges in the match-fixing case, judicial sources said.
He is under investigation with former captain Doni for
allegedly fixing a Serie B match at Crotone on April 22, 2011.
Those allegedly involved were formally told the probe had
been completed Monday.
Conte has already served a ban inflicted by the Italian
Soccer Federation (FIGC) in connection with the Cremona-based
'Last Bet' criminal probe.
The ban was cut from 10 months to four on appeal at the
start of the 2012-2013 season, and had little impact on Juve's
triumphant run to the second of their three straight scudettos
under the inspirational former Juve and Italy all-action
midfielder.
Former Bari defender Andrea Masiello, one of the players
at the centre of the scandal, was given a suspended 22-month
prison sentence in October 2012 after a plea bargain with
prosecutors.
Masiello, who was banned from soccer by a sporting
tribunal, admitted to deliberately scoring an own goal to
ensure Bari lost 2-0 to Lecce in the 2010-11 campaign, when they
were relegated to Serie B.
A Bari court found the 26-year-old guilty of criminal
association and sporting fraud regarding the fixing of four
matches.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook