Mercoledì, 17 Ottobre 2018

Paratrooper didn't commit suicide, was attacked (3)


Rome, December 6 - Emanuele Scieri, a young
paratrooper found dead in a Pisa barracks in August 1999, did
not commit suicide, as the head of the Folgore parachute
regiment had suggested, but was attacked before he died,
according to a report by a parliamentary commission of inquiry
into the fatality.
The report, released after 20 months of work by the
commission, said that there was "a surprisingly high level of
tolerance towards hazing" at Pisa's Gamerra barracks.
"We hope that our work can give truth and justice to the
memory of Emanuele," it said.
The commission was launched after the young man's parents
vowed to fight for justice when prosecutors closed the book on
the case.
Scieri, 26, was found on August 16, 1999 at the foot of a
ladder connected to a parachute jump-training tower.
Autopsy results showed the man, a brand-new Folgore Brigade
trainee who had just arrived at the Gamerra barracks in Pisa,
suffered multiple injuries in a fall and survived for hours
before dying during the night between August 13 and 14.
The criminal investigation looked into the possibility that
the victim had been pushed or forced to climb up the tower,
while Army General Enrico Celentano, in a published interview
soon after the trainee's death, wondered publicly whether the
incident could have been the result of hazing.
According to one account, injuries to Scieri's hands were
consistent with him trying to stop himself sliding down the
tower to his death.
There was speculation at the time that a macho test of
strength may have been the prelude to Scieri slipping.
Prosecutors said homicide investigation did not produced
enough evidence to press any charges.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)


Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su