Martedì, 16 Ottobre 2018
NAPLES

'Baby gangs' use terror tactics - Minniti (3)

English
© ANSA

(ANSA) -Naples, January 16 - Interior Minister Marco Minniti
said after chairing a meeting in Naples on a spate of attacks by
youth gangs known as 'baby gangs' that they used "terror
methods".
He said that all the perpetrators of the latest attacks had
been apprehended.
Minniti vowed a crackdown on the gangs.
Carabinieri police said earlier they had nabbed seven members
of a gang of youths that allegedly conducted 17 robberies near
Naples in October and November last year, including four minors.
Most of the victims of the robberies were the same age as the
youths who allegedly staged the heists at bars and railway
stations in the province of Naples.
They allegedly used toys guns to threaten the victims and
force them to hand over their cell phones.
Two members of the gang were arrested late in November.
The four minors have been taken to a detention centre, while
the other three are in Poggioreale prison, the sources said.
Interior Minister Minniti chaired the security meeting
at the Naples prefect's office following the recent escalation
of attacks by gangs of youths in the area.
A minor was insulted and punched in the face near to Naples'
Policlinico metro station late on Sunday, in the latest in the
string of attacks by so-called 'baby gangs' of teenagers.
The victim, a 16-year-old who said he did not know the
attackers, suffered a broken nose.
On Saturday two pupils aged 14 and 15 suffered an unprovoked
assault from a gang of around 10 youths armed with chains at the
province of Naples town on Pomigliano d'Arco.
The teens' mobile telephones and money were stolen, but
investigators suspect that thirst for violence, rather than
theft, was the prime motive.
"We are going through difficult days that can only be
successfully addressed if we are united," said Naples Mayor
Luigi de Magistris.
"Naples will get through it and everyone must do their part.
"I'm sure we will win this challenge because naples is a city
of life, not of death".
Another case was that of Arturo, a 17-year-old stabbed in the
throat in the southern city a week before Christmas.
Around 800 students took to the streets of Naples, along with
de Magistris and Justice Undersecretary Gennaro Migliore, to
protest against crime and violence after that attack.
The boy returned to Naples Cuoco high school on Monday and
was greeted by a big banner reading "Welcome back Arturo".
"I'm embarrassed because I didn't expect so many journalists
at my return to school or this reception from my school mates,"
he said.
"Now it's my teachers who are waiting for me, more than my
companions.
"I'm excited. This place was one of the things I missed.
"I want to hurry. I have a lesson".
There are also reports a gang of youths of North African
origin mugged a group of four minors in Turin on the night
between Saturday and Sunday.

© Riproduzione riservata

* Campi obbligatori

Immagine non superiore a 5Mb (Formati permessi: JPG, JPEG, PNG)
Video non superiore a 10Mb (Formati permessi: MP4, MOV, M4V)

X
ACCEDI

Accedi con il tuo account Facebook

Login con

Login con Facebook
  • Seguici su
X